A unique multidisciplinary training event around the holistic care of people living with dementia in the community is to be held on Wednesday 22nd November at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.
The ground-breaking event has been made possible with the collaboration of the Wales Deanery, the Wales Centre for Pharmacy Professional Education, Cardiff University and the Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre. The interactive session will be attended by GPs, dentists, optometrists and pharmacists, and discussions will be held on the various mechanisms they can use to collaboratively manage the care of patients with dementia.
Jo Small, Online Resources Manager of the Wales Deanery Revalidation Support Unit said, "This is an exciting opportunity for us to collaborate with a number of specialties, in the hope to raise understanding and awareness of this condition, whilst utilising the various media platforms to attract and engage a wider audience."
Of particular interest will be the opportunity to hear a patient story, and a number of keynote speakers will be sharing their knowledge and experience:
- Sue Brewin, Associate Trainer with the Alzheimer's Society;
- Mick Allen, Consultant in Special Care Dentistry at Aneurin Bevan Health Board, Clinical Advisor to Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and the Welsh Government;
- Rachel Beckett, a General Practice Pharmacist;
- Nik Sheen, Director of Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre (WOPEC);
- Chris Price, GP and Deputy Director of the Revalidation Support Unit at the Wales Deanery, Cardiff University;
- Emyr Roberts, General Dental Practitioner, principal practice owner in Cardiff, lecturer and clinical teacher at Cardiff University
Throughout next week we will feature profiles of the guest speakers, together with their thoughts and hopes for the event, so check back to the blog for updates. The event will be recorded and live streamed online and will become active at 7pm on the night.
The event will be held in Lecture Theatre 1, UHW Main Building, Heath Park, with networking and refreshments from 6pm. The main session will begin at 7pm. To secure a place, for GPs please send an email entitled Dementia Working Together to CPDadmin@cardiff.ac.uk, If you are a dentist or Dental Care Professional please click here to book.
Speaker profiles will be added here in the run up to the event.